Darkest Dusk
Welcome to Darkest Dusk!

Join the community today...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Darkest Dusk
Welcome to Darkest Dusk!

Join the community today...
Darkest Dusk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying

+4
Kara Salvatore
MisguidedJer
Elizabeth Salvatore
Kenna De Alba
8 posters

Go down

Roleplaying Empty Roleplaying

Post  Kenna De Alba Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 pm

RPing may seem like hard work, but you can really get into it and have a lot of fun.
Don't be afraid of adding too many details. The more details, the better off the roleplay will be. But don't add too much detail about one thing unless it is the main subject.
No one liners. They do nothing to advance the story. Most people do not like them as they do nothing for the roleplay, unless your thread starter says that one liners is okay, always assume if it is not mentioned that one liners are not permitted. They are allowed if you are just talking of course.
There are 2 ways to RP: One is to talk in third person, like: "Jane mercilessly tackles Jim, pinning him to the ground." The second one is to talk in first person, like: "I mercilessly tackled Jim, pinning him to the ground"

There are many conventions regarding writing styles, mixing different styles may or may not be acceptable depending on the tastes of those involved.

Some people prefer to write it like a book in a natural flowing description ("The pizza delivery guy walked, in proudly asking for the person that ordered the large sausage.").
While others prefer a more structured style, like an informal play script, making clear the distinction between actions (also called emotes) and things the characters themselves say. For example, for some simply adding a dash in the beginning of speech lines suffice, while others prefer to mark the different things by surrounding the parts in different characters, such as using asterisks for actions and descriptions, and quotation marks for speech(for example: *The pizza delivery guy walks in and proudly asks:* "Who ordered the large sausage?"). But in some sites and services certain characters are interpreted as formating commands, like for example making the text between asterisks bold; in such cases different characters or even different writing styles should be used.
Warnings

Don't god mod: god-modding is when you control someone else's character. For example, if you said, "Jane briskly walked into the waiting room at the doctor's office, dragging Joe beside her. Both of them wrinkling their nose at the antiseptic smell. She glanced at the medical posters on the walls, and the magazines by the hard-backed chairs lining the walls. She went, and quickly sat down in one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs, folding her ankles properly. She watched Joe walk up to the pretty nurse at the front desk and talk to her." Here, you are not only controlling the character of Jane, but also the character of Joe. This makes it hard for others to RP, and should almost never be done.
Godmodding can also be:
Dodging everything that is thrown at you without reason. Ex: *dodges* or "My shield is unbreakable; I'm immortal"
DO NOT get sick ALL THE TIME. People will end up trying to avoid you and stop wanting to role-play with you. Only make your character sick a reasonable amount of the time. Sickness is not interesting after you've acquired the "WORST AND DEADLIEST DISEASE" 500 times in the past year. Just...no. One caveat is that the roleplay can be about you being sick.
Make sure that if you are a baby who should have no teeth, you aren't talking, walking or running unless you're about the age of 2 or 3.
Do not attack anything randomly or say "That's what she said", it gets really annoying after a while.

But most of all, have fun!

---
If you wish to continue, please head over to the Character Submissions where you must:
1) Copy the character sheet.
2) Paste it into a 'new topic'.
3) Fill in the blanks.
4) SEND

Last edited by Kenna De Alba on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenna De Alba
Kenna De Alba
Admin

https://darkestdusk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying Empty Re: Roleplaying

Post  Elizabeth Salvatore Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:52 pm

I, Elizabeth Salvatore, have read the role play rules on Thursday, July 05, 2012.
Elizabeth Salvatore
Elizabeth Salvatore

Back to top Go down

Post  MisguidedJer Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 am

I've read the rules.
MisguidedJer
MisguidedJer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kara Salvatore Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I have read the rules on July 7, 2012.